Monday, December 3, 2012

What's YOUR favorite piece of tech, site, or app?

December is here, and with that the holiday season is fast-approaching. Soon, it will be 2013 (assuming the dreaded 12/21/12 is a hoax, of course), and with that the metaphorical new beginning that accompanies a new year will arrive.

But before we turn our sights to what's to come, I want to take some time to think about that which has affected us in this previous year. In particular, what in the tech-world has made the biggest impact on you over this year?

Are there any sites or services which have become a part of your daily routine? How about a tech-gadget that you can't leave home without? Or maybe there's an app you find always open on your phone or tablet?

I want to know what's made its impact on YOU! Let me know in the comments below!



For me, my biggest change came over the summer when I got my first smartphone, an LG Lucid running Android. While I used my iPod Touch extensively before as my "poor man's smartphone," having a real smartphone has changed how I do things:
  • I can actually connect to and use my apps without explicitly needing wi-fi as I did when I used my iPod Touch. This way I can, say, connect to and use my Evernote account at almost any time.
  • I don't have an excuse to get lost or not be able to fact-check that argument (this may or may not be a con rather than a pro!)
  • I can use my social apps like Facebook and Instagram without needing to find a wi-fi network and take the time to sign into it.
Strangely, I've found that even now I forget I have access to all of these apps at any time--perhaps I have gotten so used to being restricted to wi-fi I've effectively trained myself away from thinking, "I want to take a picture of this and share it on Instagram!"

As for sites that have impacted me this year, I must say that without a doubt Gmail and Google Calendar have changed how I organize my day. I've set Gmail to effectively check all of my email, and after an initial set-up of many different filters it's a pretty painless process to check my mail and find exactly what I'm looking for. By using color-coded calendars I've managed to keep track of all of my different college classes and their assignments, and it's great to visually see what's due and when in the calendar view that way. At the very least, it's saving me during finals time this semester!

Finally, I've got to hand it over to Evernote as my "app" choice. I've tried a few different apps to keep my need of writing down small pieces of information in check, and Evernote wins mainly because I can use it anywhere. Whether it's via the site, its Windows program, or my smartphone app, I can access and store information no matter where I'm at. It's not a perfect program, but it's hard to argue with something I can use in almost any situation--even if I'm offline, I can store apps locally until they can sync.



Well, there you have it, my thoughts on the tech that has affected me most this year. Feel free to ask any questions if you want to know more about any of the items I've mentioned, and let me know in the comments below what tech has made the biggest impact on you this year! 

No comments:

Post a Comment